Our Commitment to Sustainability
UMD Dining Services is committed to being a good steward of the environment and is working diligently to decrease any negative impact on the environment.
Our mission is to:
- Provide quality, nourishing foods to guests that are healthy to both one’s body and the environment.
- Initiate an inclusive dining experience through creative menus that use seasonal foods to build a community table.
- Offer affordable, sustainable options.
- Locally sourcing items to decrease carbon emissions, to strengthen the local economy, and to provide fresh, quality goods.
- Improve on its low-waste-to-landfill project to achieve a model that advances towards zero landfill waste by 2025 by
- Increasing compost and recycling in all areas of service and production
- Intentionally sourcing packaging that is environmentally-friendly and which requires composting or recycling, avoiding waste.
- Repurpose extra foods to avoid waste and feed the hungry.
- Activate and empower staff to be sustainability champions
- Maintain an intuitive, easy-to-use composting and recycling program.
- Incorporate operational efficiencies to save water and energy and to prevent food waste
COVID-19 Update: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, UMD Dining Services is committed to feeding those students forced to stay on campus in a safe and secure way. Sustainability is high on Dining’s list of priorities and continues to work towards its mission as best it can during this difficult time. Be well and stay safe.